Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The dreaded Lurgy

For the last 5 nights I have been unable to sleep in my bed due to a bad dose of bronchitis; something that has not struck me down in years. Lying down makes me cough like a 3 pack a day smoker so in order to get what little shut-eye I can, I have spent the last 5 nights in my recliner chair wrapped in a blanket. Surprisingly I have managed to get 4 or 5 hours of snooze time in between bouts of coughing.

I was thinking this morning that compared to an economy class aeroplane seat on a flight to Europe (something I have done 3 times in my life), the lounge chair is not that bad. In fact it is way better as I can lean it back a lot further and there is no-one behind, in front or beside me to take into consideration. Plus when you get to the point where your eyes are hanging out of your head with exhaustion, you could probably sleep on a bed of nails between a major railway line and Freeway and still get some rest.

Most unusually for me I have stayed up till after midnight for the last 5 nights, discovering all sorts of programs on TV that I was unaware of and finally drifting off around the 2am mark.

I had a flu shot 3 weeks ago and the doc told me that it was not possible to catch the flu from the vaccination. She didn't say anything about bronchitis, asthma or any other respiratory problem. My chest is rattling like a closet full of coat hangers. So now I am patiently waiting to get better. In the meantime I have 2 puffers to ease the breathing and the coughing muscles have finally stopped hurting.

Oh bring on the day (or night) when I can finally get back into bed. Ah... bed, with those fresh, crisp, clean sheets; warm cuddly doona and a couple of dogs to keep my feet warm.

No comments: