Saturday, June 26, 2010

Losing things

Oh bugger! I hate it when I lose something. Not just anything but something that has sentimental value. A couple of weeks ago I lost a garnet from one of my rings. Now this particular ring has no real sentimental value as it was one I bought for myself. It was a 3 stone garnet ring that I was using to hold the other ring on my right ring finger.

Now this other ring was a gold and white gold band which was bought with a gift voucher from Kerry McKenzie Solicitors in Campbelltown where I worked for 6 years. When I left to go on our trip around Australia in 2001, Kerry and the rest of the staff did a whip around and presented me with a Prouds voucher as a farewell gift so off I went and chose this lovely ring. I got it big enough to fit on my right middle finger (the one you usually show to someone to indicate that you are not entirely pleased with what they did or said) however, after a few years of wearing it on that finger, I developed a rash underneath the ring so switched it to my ring finger. Of course it was a little too big for that finger hence the purchase of the garnet one to hold it in place.

Ok, now that I had lost one of the garnets I took the ring off and put it away for safe keeping in my jewellery box. Now somewhere in the back of my mind a little light went on and a message was being sent to my brain to tell me that it was now entirely possible that if I did not do something about securing this gold band to the aforementioned ring finger that it may fall off. Common sense you say? Of course, but did I do anything about it at the time? No.

All that following day I kept an occasional check on my finger to see if the ring was still there and right up until the time I stepped into the shower that night, it WAS there. Now you can see where this story is going can't you? Yes, I showered, shampooed and soaped up enjoying the feeling of hot water spashing on my weary body and whilst I was towelling down I realised that - yikes - MY RING WAS MISSING!!!

In the event that it may have fallen off between the back yard and getting undressed to shower, Matt and I searched high and low; nothing. I would bet money that the darn thing had gone down the plug hole whilst I was shampooing but as we have a septic system, there is no way I am going to go diving into the muck to try and find it. I felt so miserable all the next day and am still kicking myself for not doing something about it sooner. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way.

Matt told me that I should go and buy another ring to replace the garnet one so whilst I was visiting Dad last week, I did. I bought a lovely 4 sapphire and 10 diamond one in the half yearly sales. It looks great. It is also the right size for my ring finger so there is not much chance it will come off without a fair bit of effort.

No comments: